Terme Acqua Pia s.r.l., Località Acque Calde, Montevago (AG)

Story

THE LEGEND

An ancient legend tells of Cinzio and Corinthia, two young shepherds of the Valley of Belice, who wore white ceremonial dresses, descended the sweet sloping slope of wild broomsticks to head to the sacred source.

From the thousand, the warm and beneficial source flowed from fertile land, carrying with its uninterrupted flow a promise of continuity that well echoes in the human aspiration to eternity.

Consumed sacred rites Cintius and Corinthians fell into their cave, bringing with them this hope of immortality.

DALLA LEGGENDA ALLA REALTA'

The legend is not very different from reality, being formed by the narratives passed down centuries ago when the places were inhabited by local populations and colonists who used the neighboring river Belice, then navigable, as a communication path from Selinunte to the interior of the Valley And, in doing so, they came across the sources of Montevago.

But so fascinating it must be the source that over the centuries numerous settlements of populations that came to the ground or sailing the Belice waters erected their homes nearby so that they could enjoy the hot waters daily.

Historical research brings us the finds made on the nearby heights and the majestic caves of the nearby “Vuturo” fortress.

The thermal springs, which during the winter were subdued to the waters of the Belice River, in summer assumed the proper connotation of a spring, ready to grant well-being and health to all those who peacefully went “to pass the waters”.

The proximity of thermal waters to those of Belice made the temperature of the particular River. The news is already reported in 1743 by the historian Antonino Mongitore who in the book: “Of Sicily Seeking”, cites in turn Antigono Caristio (II dC), and his Historiarum mirabilium collectanea; The River Belice, then called Crime, “a wonderful show that […] its waters that are cold on the bottom are warm.” The Mongitor explains that “the cause of this diversity is born because flowing over sulphurous mines, conceives in its lower part the heat” while the surface exposed to cold air “feels its natural coldness.”

The treatises dealing with thermal springs date back to 1794 with Vincenzo Ryolo, the first scientific man to censor the island’s waters, with the “Historical-analytical discovery of the mineral and thermal waters of Sicily”, while in 1864 the priest Vincenzo Flour in the tomato “The sparkling baths or the Vapor Cave and the mineral waters of Monte S. Calogero at Sciacca” speaks of the waters coming out from the left bank of the Belice in Montevago.

Subsequently, in 1894, Luigi Tioli quotes “The mineral and thermal waters of the Kingdom of Italy” and the source of Montevago, “a large village in the Mazara Valley just a few miles from the African sea” where “there is a hot sulfur water, That somebody in the place uses as a bath in rheumatic and skin diseases. “

Various thermal bath studies were conducted in the 900s of the Terme di Montevago; The most important of which is the Palermo Hydrographic Section which states: “It is worth mentioning the thermal spring […] hot water that flows on the left bank of the Belice a few meters higher than the alveo […]. The 31-degree water temperature is clear, odorless and during the summer the villagers in the neighboring areas go swimming. ”
However in the ‘900 the source was used by the local population still with great difficulty because of the connections. To “pass the waters” we had to go through a shaky trap that descended from Montevago or, in the summer season, paths and country roads that from the bridge over the river Belice reached the site. Only in 1958 the source was connected with a small interpenetral road.

FROM THE LEGEND TO REALITY'

In 1922, Dr. Pietro Giuffrida, esteemed and well-liked physician of the district, bought the rustic “pasture and uncultivated” fund “Catalani – Hot Water”, also known as “Hot Water of St. Peter”, inside the former feud Diesi. The subsoil of the soil was known for the presence of possible “sulfur deposits” as well as for the best source identified as “sulfur dioxide exhalations”.

In 1933 Dr. Giuffrida, together with his brother Col. Giovanni, made a small spa today, still present, and began to experience the healing qualities of the waters, sending them to “cure” their patients and to look for illustrious teachers With which to initiate a protocol of investigation and experimentation.

In 1973, his wife, Antonietta Tiby, developed the initiative to make full use of the field and, for this purpose, with great determination, built the new spa. Since 1976, having obtained the thermal recognition, he started spa and recreational activity.

From the intuition of Pietro Giuffrida and subsequently by the determination of her consort, Antonietta Tiby, she is therefore the originator of the current spa center, with its services of Terme Divertimento, Terme Salute e Terme Benessere.

Many centuries have passed since the river Belice was navigable but still today the source, carefully cured and monitored daily, continues to flow, giving health and beauty to those who dive but also allow a dip in the past, Imagination and reality, an ideal link with the ancient populations of the place, who were the first to discover the healthful qualities and charm of this enchanting site.

Next to the ancient thermal spa built in the 1930s (almost a century!), Surrounded by the lush hills of the Belice Valley and the rich Mediterranean vegetation, there is the “Acqua Spa” Pia “, where the wholesome virtues of these pure waters are exalted, which are still being used today, as they spring from the source.

Scientific research has confirmed and strengthened the synergistic value of the source, recognizing its therapeutic abilities, but also its aesthetic and relaxing value.

A short distance from the ancient springs, connected by a healthy path in the park, is nowadays the newly-built “spa village”, which provides comfortable rooms, a small solarium and a lovely view.